Another variety of beans, commonly eaten in India is Cluster Bean. Relatives of Green Beans, beans cluster are comparatively smaller and flatter. It is also known as Gavar in Hindi.
More About Cluster Beans
Cluster Bean or Guar beans in Hindi is an annual legume. Cluster Beans are native to India and are widely grown in Andhra and Maharashtra. Cluster bean has a slightly bitter taste and is consumed curried, steamed, boiled, or fries.
100 grams of Gavar contains:
- Calories: 16
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 4g
- Iron: 75%
The beans cluster is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iron, and Phosphorus.
Health Benefits of Guar Beans
- Cluster bean contains fibre, folic acid, and potassium which lowers bad cholesterol and keeps the heart healthy.
- They contain Calcium and Phosphorus which help to strengthen bones.
- These beans have laxative properties that aid digestion and prevent irritable bowel movements.
- Iron in the beans prevents Anemia and increases haemoglobin.
- The hypoglycaemic properties of guar beans soothe the nerve and reduce anxiety.
Cluster beans can be stored at room temperature for 3-4 days. It can also be stored in the fridge for a week.
Country of Origin: India
Sourced and marketed by: Pureroot