Lady’s finger or okra is a green edible pod vegetable. It is consumed all over the world from Asia, America to Africa. Known by various names such a ‘gumbo’ in the U.S, guibeiro in Portuguese, banya in Egypt, bhindi in India, is believed to have originated in Ethiopia. It is a natural thickening agent and is used in curry or dishes with gravy or can be eaten stir-fried. In Japan, the leaves of Ladies Finger are eaten as Salad.
100 gm of lady’s finger contains:
- Energy: 31 Kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7.03g
- protein: 2.0g
- Dietary Fibre: 3.2g
It also contains Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Iron, Calcium, and Manganese.
- Lady Fingers is highly effective in lowering blood sugar levels and has anti-diabetic properties.
- Lady Finger improves blood capillary functions.
- It has a laxative quality and helps prevent constipation.
- Antiseptic and Antibacterial effects of ladyfinger can reduce sore throat.
- The soothing effect of a lady's finger is used to treat sunburn and heatstroke.
- Iron in the lady's finger prevents anemia.
Choose fresh Ladies Finger pods with green color skin. It should be crispy and immature pods. It can be stored in a refrigerator and can be consumed within 4-5 days.
Country of Origin: India
Sourced and marketed by: Pureroot