Iceberg Lettuce is a green leaf vegetable, belongs to the Asteraceae family. It is a variety of lettuce that looks similar to cabbage but has a light green colour. Iceberg lettuce has more water content than other lettuce varieties. Lettuce leaves are crunchy and have a mild and sweet taste. In India, iceberg lettuce is mainly produced in the Nilgiris mountains of South India. Iceberg Lettuce is enjoyed in soups, salads, wraps and sandwiches. Not only do they add flavour to our food, but also highly nutritious and has multiple health benefits.
100 grams of raw lettuce contains:
- Energy: 55J
- Carbohydrates: 2.23g
- Fats: 0.22g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Water: 95.63g
They are rich in Vitamin A, folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Iron, Manganese and Calcium.
- Lactucarium, a white milky substance found in lettuce leaves, relaxes the body and induces sleep and has no harmful side effects.
- With 95% of water content, maintains fluid balance and keeps the body hydrated.
- Lettuce has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and helps to protect the body from harmful microbes.
- Rich in Omega3 reduces the risk of hypertension, stroke, cardiac arrest and cardiovascular issues.
- Lettuce might help treat insomnia and preserve cognitive and memory function in old age.
Iceberg lettuce can be stored in the fridge. It can remain fresh for up to 3-4 days. You can also store the lettuce leaves by wrapping them in paper and placing them in a fridge.
Country of Origin: India
Sourced and marketed by: Pureroot