The Red juicy, tangy Local Tomatoes are part of our everyday salads, soups, sandwich, sauce and are famous from Italian to Indian cuisines.
More about Local Tomato (Desi Tamatar)
Local Tomatoes are fruits more often treated as vegetables. It is also known as a multi seeded berry. It is believed to have originated in Italy. Portuguese introduced Tomatoes in India. Different varieties of tomatoes are available from cherry tomatoes to bright yellow tomatoes, green tomotoes, hybrid tomotoes, Italian pear-shaped tomatoes. Local tomatoes are most widely consumed and produced in India. Desi Tamatar are more flavourful and juicer as compared to others. They have a sweet and sour taste and makes Indian curry more tangier.
One Desi Tamatar contains:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin A
- Total sugar-3-4%
- Carbohydrates – 5.8g
Also contains calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.
- Local Tomato Indian is a good appetizer and its soup is a remedy for constipation.
- They are rich in lycopene (antioxidant) that reduces the risk of cancer and other diseases.
- They bring free from cholesterol and fat are good for the heart.
- They are good for skin and hair and boost immunity.
- They are loaded with Vitamin K and Calcium making bones stronger.
Tomatoes and India
India ranks second in the production of tomatoes in the world. India has various varieties of tomatoes such as Pusa Rohini, Pusa Uphar, Pusa Sadabahar, Arka Vikas, Arka Alok, Arka Abhijit, Pb Kesari, Pant T-10, Arka Meghali, Pusa Divya etc.
Tomatoes must be stored away from direct sunlight. Unripe tomoto can be stored at room temperature for 3-4 days. It can also be placed in the refrigerator to increase self-life.
Country of Origin: India
Sourced and marketed by: Pureroot