Bok Choy or Pak Choi is a type of Chinese cabbage. It was first cultivated in the Yangtze River Delta region of China. It has green leaf blades with light bulbous bottoms. Bok Choy has sweet with mildly peppery undertones. The green leaves have a stronger flavour compared to the white bulb. It is commonly used in spring rolls, salads, soup and even stir-fried.
Nutritional Facts of Pakchoi
100grams of raw Bok Choy contains:
- Energy: 54J
- Carbohydrates: 2.23g
- Fats: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Water: 95.3g
They are rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Iron, Manganese and Calcium.
- With 95% of water content, maintains fluid balance and keeps the body hydrated.
- The calcium, Vitamin K, magnesium and phosphorous in Bok Choy helps in maintaining bone strength.
- Bok Choy being a cruciferous vegetable has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and helps to protect the body from harmful microbes.
- Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium helps in maintaining a healthy heart and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- The Selenium found in Bok Choy improves the immune system.
Bok Choy can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. Do not wash it before storing it.
Country of Origin: India
Sourced and marketed by: Pureroot