Do Red Onions make you cry! Yes, not only while chopping but also in their absence. Indian cuisines are impossible without them.
More about Red Onions ( Lal Pyaj )
Red Onions are common in every Indian Household called as “Queen of Kitchen”. Onions are believed to have originated in Central Asia and its edible part consists of bulbs and leaves.
There are yellow, white, red and pink onions, with the red onion variety most commonly being used in India. Onions are often consumed raw as salads, in sandwiches and even used for garnishing. It is also cooked as a basic ingredient to curries, soups, gravies due to the strong flavour it provides to the dish.
- Onions are said to have anti-fungal properties due to the presence of phenolic factor- catechol.
- Onions can be used against sunstrokes.
- Raw onions promote the production of good cholesterol, so are said to be the best friend of your heart.
- Red Onions contain quercetin that reduces inflammation in the body, ease allergy symptoms and boosts immunity.
- The sulfur in the onion regulates blood pressure as it acts as a blood thinner and reduces the chances of cancer.
- Studies also show onions may help reduce blood sugar and are helpful for those with pre-diabetes and diabetes.
Onions ( Pyaj ) and India
India is the second-largest onion growing country in the world. Indian onions are available round the year. India ranks third in onion export in the world. Maharashtra is the leading producer of onion in India. Lassalgoan in Maharashtra is the biggest onion market in India.
Various varieties of onions found in India are Agrifound dear Red, Arak Kalyan, Pusa Red, Agrifound Light Red, Udaipur101, Arka Pragati, Arka Niketan, Arka Lalima, Arka Kirtiman, Arka Pitamber, Nasik Red, Arka Bindu etc.
Red Onions can be stored in a cool, dry and well-ventilated room. Peeled and sliced Pyaj can be stored in the fridge for 7-10days.
Country of Origin: India
Sourced and marketed by: Pureroot