Romaine Lettuce is a green leaf vegetable, belongs to the Asteraceae family. It is a variety of lettuce with dark green leaves and firm ribs down its centre. It is believed to be native to the Greek Island of Cos. Lettuce leaves are crunchy and have a mildly bitter taste. They are grown for their leaves, stem and seeds. Romaine Lettuce is famously used in Caesar salad. It can also be used in soups, wraps and sandwiches. Not only do they add flavour to our food, but also highly nutritious and has multiple health benefits.
100grams of raw lettuce contains:
- Energy: 72J
- Carbohydrates: 3.3g
- Fats: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Water: 95g
They are rich in Vitamin A, folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Iron, Manganese and Calcium.
- Lactucarium, a white milky substance found in lettuce leaves, relaxes the body and induces sleep and has no harmful side effects.
- With 95% of water content, maintains fluid balance and keeps the body hydrated.
- Lettuce has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and helps to protect the body from harmful microbes.
- Rich in Omega3 reduces the risk of hypertension, stroke, cardiac arrest and cardiovascular issues.
- Lettuce might help treat insomnia and preserve cognitive and memory function in old age.
Intact lettuce can be stored in the fridge. It can remain fresh for up to 3-4 days. You can also store it by cutting the stiff core and wrapping them in paper and placing it in a fridge.
Country of Origin: India
Sourced and marketed by: Pureroot